As a last-minute decision, Hubs decided it'd be a good idea for me to take Little Man to Louisville for Easter weekend. It took a lot of doing, but I got us both packed up and we hit the road Thursday. Very convenient for me, my dearest buddy from my days at Alabama lives just off the interstate in Nashville and she let me stop at her place as a middle-of-the-trip pit stop. I was able to feed Hayden, let him get out of his car seat for a little bit and stretch and regroup myself before we headed on North.
I'd done my research like a good traveler should: I checked the weather and it said temps in the mid-60s and 70s all weekend with rain chances every day. I didn't expect what happened: record rainfall and river flooding. It was bad. I took lots of pictures of the flooding in Mom & Daddy's neighborhood but they've disappeared off the camera... If I find them, I'll post them.
|Hayden and his cousin Maggie on Easter|
I was really glad to get home before July, as we'd originally been planning. I know so many of my friends and family were just chomping at the bit to meet Hayden. We had some friends come over on Saturday before Easter to meet him, and he was just a sweet and smiling little angel the whole time! I guess that's a good thing, too, because we're slightly social folks (tee hee) and we go out all the time. I was also able to leave him with his first two babysitters! Mom and Ginny took care of him while I went to get my hair done on Wednesday, and Thursday my friend Julie's husband Damon kept him for a little while so Julie and I could go have some girl time. He was an angel both times :) I'm so lucky!
Time came to start planning our return trip to Alabama when I got to looking at my Twitter feed and Facebook feeds. I follow two of my favorite weathermen from NBC 13 here in Birmingham and they were warning of the potential for a super-evil severe weather event on Tuesday and Wednesday. Well, our plan was to leave on Tuesday, but then I got to researching the weather and, after consulting with Hubs, we decided it would be best to stay put till the following weekend. (He was going to be out of town working, so why not extend the trip till he got home..?) It's a good thing that we did stay put, because we all know what happened on Wednesday.
We were very lucky here in Calera. Tornadoes split the path to our north and south, but steered clear of us. We didn't even lose power. Our friends and family were marginally affected, losing power, downed trees, etc... but we all know someone who knows someone who has it much worse. I organized a bunch of ladies on some pregnancy and post-pregnancy websites to send their unwanted baby formula and other infant-care supplies to Tuscaloosa and I also took a big bag of diapers, wipes, formula, and other baby-care stuff to be donated to the families affected. If you are so inclined to make donations, please let me know and I'll send you the information. These areas were hard-hit and any and all help is desperately needed.
OK- that's enough for now...